jueves, 16 de junio de 2011

La hambrienta



Ah! thou wouldst not suffer me to kiss thy mouth, Iokanaan. Well! I will kiss it now. I will bite it with my teeth as one bites a ripe fruit. Yes, I will kiss thy mouth, Iokanaan. I said it; did I not say it? I said it. Ah! I will kiss it now . . . . But wherefore dost thou not look at me, Iokanaan? Thine eyes that were so terrible, so full of rage and scorn, are shut now. Wherefore are they shut? Open thine eyes! Lift up thine eyelids, Iokanaan! Wherefore dost thou not look at me? Art thou afraid of me, Iokanaan, that thou wilt not look at me? . . .
And thy tongue, that was like a red snake darting poison, it moves no more, it speaks no words, Iokanaan, that scarlet viper that spat its venom upon me. It is strange, is it not? How is it that the red viper stirs no longer?. . . Thou wouldst have none of me, Iokanaan. Thou rejectedst me. Thou didst speak evil words against me. Thou didst bear thyself toward me as to a harlot, as to a woman that is a wanton, to me, Salome, daughter of Herodias, Princess of Judaea!
Well, I still live, but thou art dead, and thy head belongs to me. I can do with it what I will. I can throw it to the dogs and to the birds of the air.

That which the dogs leave, the birds of the air shall devour . . . .
Ah, Iokanaan, Iokanaan, thou wert the man that I loved alone among men! All other men were hateful to me. But thou wert beautiful! Thy body was a column of ivory set upon feet of silver. It was a garden full of doves and lilies of silver. It was a tower of silver decked with shields of ivory. There was nothing in the world so white as thy body. There was nothing in the world so black as thy hair. In the whole world there was nothing so red as thy mouth. Thy voice was a censer that scattered strange perfumes, and when I looked on thee I heard a strange music. Ah! wherefore didst thou not look at me, Iokanaan?
With the cloak of thine hands, and with the cloak of thy blasphemies thou didst hide thy face. Thou didst put upon thine eyes the covering of him who would see his God. Well, thou hast seen thy God, Iokanaan, but me, me, thou didst never see. If thou hadst seen me thou hadst loved me. I saw thee, and I loved thee. Oh, how I loved thee! I love thee yet, Iokanaan. I love only thee . . . .
I am athirst for thy beauty; I am hungry for thy body; and neither wine nor apples can appease my desire. What shall I do now, Iokanaan? Neither the floods nor the great waters can quench my passion. I was a princess, and thou didst scorn me. I was a virgin, and thou didst take my virginity from me. I was chaste, and thou didst fill my veins with fire . . . .
Ah! ah! wherefore didst thou not look at me? If thou hadst looked at me thou hadst loved me. Well I know that thou wouldst have loved me, and the mystery of Love is greater than the mystery of Death.

HEROD
She is monstrous, thy daughter; I tell thee she is monstrous. In truth, what she has done is a great crime. I am sure that it is a crime against some unknown God.

HERODIAS
I am well pleased with my daughter. She has done well. And I would stay here now.

HEROD
[Rising.] Ah! There speaks my brother's wife! Come! I will not stay in this place. Come, I tell thee. Surely some terrible thing will befall. Manasseh, Issachar, Ozias, put out the torches. I will not look at things, I will not suffer things to look at me. Put out the torches! Hide the moon! Hide the stars! Let us hide ourselves in our palace, Herodias. I begin to be afraid.

[The slaves put out the torches. The stars disappear. A great cloud crosses the moon and conceals it completely. The stage becomes quite dark. The Tetrarch begins to climb the staircase.]

THE VOICE OF SALOME
Ah! I have kissed thy mouth, Iokanaan, I have kissed thy mouth. There was a bitter taste on thy lips. Was it the taste of blood? . . . Nay; but perchance it was the taste of love. . They say that love hath a bitter taste. But what matter? what matter? I have kissed thy mouth, Iokanaan, I have kissed thy mouth. [A ray of moonlight falls on Salome and illumines her.]


Salomé, Oscar Wilde.


SALOMÉ: -¡Ah, no querías permitir que yo besara tu boca, Jokanaán! ¡Bueno! Ahora la besaré. La morderé con mis labios como se muerde una fruta madura. Sí, besaré tu boca, Jokanaán. Lo dije. ¡Ah! Ahora la besaré... ¿Pero por qué no me miras, Jokanaán? Tus ojos, que eran tan terribles, tan llenos de rabia y de desprecio, están cerrados ahora. ¿Por qué están cerrados? ¡Abre tus ojos! ¡Levanta tus párpados, Jokanaán! ¿Por qué no me miras? ¿Tienes miedo de mí, Jokanaán, que no quieres mirarme...? Y tu boca que era como una serpiente roja lanzando veneno, ya no se mueve, no dice nada ahora, Jokanaán, esa víbora escarlata que escupió su veneno sobre mí. Es extraño, ¿no es cierto? ¿Cómo es que la víbora roja ya no se mueve? No querías tener nada conmigo, Jokanaán. Me rechazaste. Dijiste palabras perversas contra mí. Me trataste de ramera, de perdida, a mí, a Salomé, hija de Herodías, Princesa de Judea. ¡Bueno, Jokanaán, yo estoy viva aún, pero tú, tú estás muerto, y tu cabeza me pertenece! Puedo hacer con ella lo que quiera. Puedo arrojarla a los perros y a las aves del aire... Lo que los perros desdeñen, las aves del aire lo devorarán... ¡Ah, Jokanaán, Jokanaán, eras el único hombre que he amado! Todos los otros hombres me son odiosos. ¡Pero tú, tú eras hermoso! Tu cuerpo era una columna de marfil colocada sobre un basamento de plata. Era un jardín lleno de palomas y de lirios de plata. Eras una torre de plata recubierta de escudos de marfil. No había nada en el mundo tan blanco como tu cuerpo. No había nada en el mundo tan rojo como tu boca. Tu voz era un incensario que esparcía extraños perfumes, y cuando te miraba, yo oía una música extraña. ¡Ah! ¿Por qué no me miraste, Jokanaán? Detrás de tus manos y de tus maldiciones escondiste tu rostro. Pusiste sobre tus ojos la venda del que desea ver a Dios. Bien, tú has visto a tu Dios, Jokanaán, pero a mí, a mí, nunca me has visto. Si me hubieras visto, me hubieras amado. Yo, yo te vi, Jokanaán, y te amé. ¡Oh, cómo te amé! ¡Todavía te amo, Jokanaán, te amo a ti solamente...! ¡Estoy sedienta de tu belleza; estoy hambrienta de tu cuerpo; y ni el vino ni la fruta pueden apaciguar mi deseo! ¿Qué haré ahora, Jokanaán? Ni las corrientes ni las grandes aguas pueden extinguir mi pasión. Yo era una princesa, y tú me despreciaste. Yo era virgen, y me quitaste la virginidad. Yo era casta, y tú llenaste mis venas de fuego... ¡Ah! ¡Ah! ¿Por qué no me miraste, Jokanaán? Si me hubieras mirado me hubieras amado. Sé bien que me hubieras amado, y el misterio del amor es mayor que el misterio de la muerte. El amor es lo único que cuenta.

HERODES: -Tu hija es un monstruo, un verdadero monstruo. En verdad, lo que ha hecho es un gran crimen. Estoy seguro de que es un crimen contra un Dios desconocido.

HERODÍAS: -Yo estoy de acuerdo con lo que ha hecho mi hija, y ahora me
quedaré aquí.

HERODES (LEVANTÁNDOSE): -¡Ahora habla la mujer incestuosa! ¡Vamos! No
quiero quedarme aquí. Vamos, te digo. Seguramente sucederá algo terrible. ¡Manasseh, Issachar, Ozías, saquen las antorchas! ¡Tapen la luna! ¡Tapen las estrellas! Escondámonos nosotros en nuestro palacio, Herodías. Comienzo a temer.

LOS ESCLAVOS SACAN LAS ANTORCHAS. LAS
ESTRELLAS DESAPARECEN. UNA GRAN NUBE
NEGRA CRUZA DELANTE DE LA LUNA Y LA TAPA
COMPLETAMENTE. LA ESCENA SE PONE MUY
OSCURA. EL TETRARCA COMIENZA A SUBIR
LA ESCALINATA.

LA VOZ DE SALOMÉ: -¡Ah! Yo he besado tu boca, Jokanaán. Yo he besado tu
boca. En tus labios había un gusto amargo. ¿Era el gusto de la sangre? Pero quizás era el gusto del amor... Dicen que el amor tiene un gusto amargo... ¿pero qué importa?
¿Qué importa? Yo he besado tu boca, Jokanaán.


[La imagen es una de las ilustraciones de Aubrey Beardsley para la primera edición francesa de la obra.]

2 comentarios:

  1. No he leído Salomé, así que me voy a poner a ello. El texto me ha gustado mucho aunque al verlo en inglés me ha dado un poco de vértigo (menos mal que pusiste la traducción jeje).

    Besos.


    La cafetera de E.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Pues, Salomé te encantaría sin duda... vamos, yo me la leí anoche, es muy cortita además. Es una pasada!
    Jeje, sí, pongo traducción, mi inglés tampoco es tan potente... pero es que tengo no sé qué manía por los textos originales... ;)
    Un beso!

    ResponderEliminar